As with any breed, breeding from your Eriskay pony can be costly. To help with this we can offer the possibility of a breeding grant to help with breeding registered Eriskay ponies.
To qualify for a grant, you must be a current member of the Society and your pony should be registered with EPS. To protect the long term viability of the breed and minimise inbreeding, the mare and stallion should also be a match from the SPARKS programme which gives a recommended breeding profile for every registered Eriskay pony.
If you would like more information on:
- Practical advice
- Breeding and producing a foal
- selecting the right stallion
please contact the breeding advisor, Mary McGillivray on firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines for Application for Eriskay Pony Society Breeding Grant
The Eriskay Pony Society (EPS) intends to allocate small grants to help members with the costs involved in breeding Eriskay ponies. The following conditions apply.
* The applicant must be a paid up member of EPS.
* The pony must registered with EPS.
* A CENE registered pony is welcomed but the CENE passport must be over-stamped by EPS.
* Any resulting foal must subsequently be registered with EPS.
The grants can cover a wide range of situations such as those listed below.
* Contribution towards travel costs for mare or stallion.
* Contribution towards the required pre-covering tests.
* Livery costs.
The grant is flexible and can be used towards covering the costs of natural service, AI or embryo transfer. The stallion chosen for the covering of a mare must be agreed by the Eriskay Pony Society Council and be a match from the SPARKS programme.
Arrangements between the owner of the mare/stallion and the stud would be a private one and any pre-mating health tests required by the owner are to be carried out before travelling to the stud. On collection of the mare or stallion all costs must be paid to the stallion owner before leaving.
You can download a funding request form HERE or on the resources page.